Thread: love haters
View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 3:14 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Los Angeles

Love: I love the combination of its ethnic, religious, and cultural diversity because that makes it one of the most dynamic cities on the planet. I love the weather here. I love the fact that in the winter you can be skiing in the mountains and later that day lay out on the beach in 70 degree weather. I love the fact that you can be in the wilderness and still be in the city. I love the skyline. I love the various neighborhoods. I love the wide range of museums, restaurants, cafes, clubs, bars, and shops. I love the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I love Antonio Villaraigosa. I love Eli Broad. I love the concentration of celebrities (seriously). I love the media attention we get. I love our ports. I love the bands associated with the city. I love the fact that we're the only city to have hosted the Olympics twice. I love the creative people here. I love to go to Griffith Observatory and look out over the vast expansive Basin at night. I love to go to the Getty Center and do the exact same thing. I love that our city has a strong identity that no one can mistake us for another city.

Hate: I hate the fact that we don't have a city center that's reflective of our global status. I hate the fact that we don't have an efficient and extensive mass transit system the size of New York, London, Tokyo, and Paris. I hate the fact that we have so much air pollution and don't get enough rain to clean the air. I hate the traffic. I hate the fact that we don't have a skyline that's up there with New York, Honk Kong, and Chicago. I hate the fact that there are only pockets of urbanity here and there rather than a continuous stretch. I hate the fact that we're labeled as a "superficial" and "fake" city. I hate the fact that there aren't enough parks. I hate the fact that we don't have a Chinatown on par with New York and San Francisco. I hate the fact that there are too many damn powerlines. I hate the strip malls. I hate the fact that many of the streets aren't pedestrian friendly. I hate the bland architecture. I hate the sprawl. I hate the graffiti. I hate the fact that LAX is an outdated airport.

β€” Jerome Bruner