View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
All over town you’re not crazy but you will drive yourself crazy trying to get through to these people. I’m not sure what being the poorest large city in America means to some people but walking in here after decades of decline and abandonment and saying this is wrong this sucks this is dirty why is this city lazy is ignorant and uneducated. At the same time certain people will bitch and moan about taxes and the price of a damn juicy juice. Houses are collapsing (or literally exploding) underground pipes are eroding away, pollution is an issue. Oh and it’s the POOREST large city in America.

That being said if you can’t see and appreciate how much this city has changed and progressed in the past 10-15 years than you just refuse to pay attention. Steers are being paved sidewalks are being fixed power lines are being burried parks are being improved. The schuylkill waterfront is a total attraction now. Also entire blocks that have been deserted for 30 years are now populated by homes pushing 1mil or dense apartment developments. I mean entire neighborhoods are completely revitalized and there’s SOO much more to go. The city is finally getting some tax money from areas that were empty. Give it a little more time which seems to be difficult for some of you. I mean think of where this city will be in 5-10 years. We’re on such a strong upward trajectory at the moment maybe they’ll be able to do the sidewalks two three times a year and maybe they’ll have daily street sweeping but not anytime soon. We also just had a debilitating pandemic so we’re all wasting a ton of energy arguing over Monopoly money.

Do you guys understand truly how far this city fell? How far it still needs to go before anyone even looks at a crack in the sidewalk? You can play keyboard warrior and whine about trash on your street or highway? Really? I think I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the city in my opinion and my neighbors tend to agree. The sidewalks are jacked by tree roots and there’s power lines everywhere. Trash is on the street and we go around and pick it up, As I know they do in Allegheny, Frankford, Mayfair, Harrowgate. If you’ve walked around those neighborhoods and met people you’d know too. Not a single mention and many of my neighbors are having kids finding schools and settling down for the long haul. 50% of them are not looking to move... in fact there’s probably 50% MORE people living in this neighborhood than a year or so ago.

YOu are 100% correct. Its funny that one poster complained about old rec centers and potholes which are two things Kenney has actually focused on directing money towards. I mistakenly assume people who talk (or post) a lot are actually somewhat informed about current issues but I now realize people who bitch a lot don't actually want to know anything that would challenge their views. Kenney (who as far as I can tell is nearly universally hated here) made a point to drastically increase resources for paving because he correctly argued that the status quo was not sufficient. You cannot undo a backlog of neglected streets in 2-3 years, it will probably take a decade of sustained effort. Not only does it appear few even know this change has taken place, the fact that it's not done in 3 years would lead many to pronounce it a sign of failed leadership because in City X all the streets are repaved every single year and potholes don't exist supposedly.

I believe the investment in improving rec centers is well known by most.....that was one of the two main reasons for the soda tax. Again, a backlog in maintenance of rec centers will not be fixed in 2 or 3 years. It took decades for them to get to their current state.