View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
I'd like to see a BRT bus like this on Sandy. I dream of taking the parking off Sandy and reconfiguring the street to have one lane of traffic in each direction, a center turn lane, dedicated BRT lanes, and bike lanes. Including parking, that road effectively has 6 lanes worth of space to use.
That would be nice. However they road diet Sandy, when it happens its desirability will surge. I think we can look at Williams in a similar fashion. Standing outside of the Hollywood theatre gives you an idea of the potential for Sandy. Right now it comes with significant speeding and lane changing directly adjacent to people (par for 4 lane urban highways). Foot traffic is minimal, and dedicated to crossing not walking up Sandy.

For a long time Sandy has been a commuter route for people bypassing I84. This is what Williams was to I5 before PBOT placed diverters in the left lane. Virtually no development is happening on sandy (take a look: a vast majority are a block or more recessed). 2 bike lanes and 3 lanes of traffic would almost immediately turn Kerns and Hollywood into two of the most desirable neighborhoods in Portland. Leadership in city hall is the way this happens.