View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 1:54 PM

I think that the situation in New York City is worth noting, especially since that city has similar geography to Halifax. The NFL Jets football team was trying to build a new “West Side Stadium” in Manhattan but failed for several reasons. Both their existing and future stadiums are not in a central location, but in another state. But realistically, the stadiums in East Rutherford, New Jersey are quite close to Manhattan. I went to a basketball game at the Izod Centre (just beside the football stadium) and found that the city had set up convenient event buses from the main bus terminal downtown. However, from what I could tell, there were no nearby locations for pre/post game food or drinks (excepting tailgates).

For my two cents, I would prefer to see the stadium on the peninsula. It appears that Young/Windsor is the best choice for transit links, highway access and nearby “amenities”. However, a lot of the other proposed locations could me made to work quite well. In some of these locations there may be traffic woes or there may be no amenities. No location will be perfect. We should be pragmatic and work to ensure that Halifax builds a stadium. I think proponents like us can help the city by brainstorming the many possibilities of locations. Even if the stadium isn't in our preferred location, I and many others will still be thankful when it is built.

Also, I think that 15,000-25,000 seats would be sufficient. I support starting small and expanding later.