View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 4:38 AM

It's vogue to complain about the quality and breadth of content on CBC Television, but this is directly rooted in the instability of their funding over the past 25 years or so. It's difficult to run a network and make real commitments to different projects, or take any sort of risks when you don't know if your budget will be cut $100 million next year or not. There is value in public broadcasting, even in the digital age, and I'd love to see stable funding models of some sort. A gradual phasing out of advertisements on the TV network would also be a good thing. On the other hand, I don't believe a BBC-type television license model would be appropriate, because there's no precedent or tradition of this in Canada and I think it would be politically toxic. I also don't think it should just opt for the PBS model of essentially being a minor player in the media landscape. The CBC should be a strong and widely viewed network that focuses on promoting the mandate that already exists in the Canadian Broadcasting Act, and the funding meat to make it happen.