View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:20 PM

Elon Musk's Hyperloop Moves Closer to Becoming Reality
Quote:
Hyperloop Transportation Technologies has signed an agreement with a developer in central California to build a five-mile Hyperloop line in an area along Interstate 5.

[...]

The deal signed with developers of Quay Valley in central California calls for construction to start next year and be completed by 2019. Ahlborn estimates the five mile Hyperloop will cost about $100 million to build.
LINK TO ARTICLE

So the test track will be complete in 2019. Then testing on the test track will take several more years. Then comes years of financing once (or if) they come up with something commercially viable. And then they can actually start constructing a hyperloop along a useful alignment.

I wish them luck for sure... but in the meanwhile I'll be riding the bullet train, thank you very much.

Also, $100 million for 5 miles is about $20 million per mile. Not bad. Not particularly good either, but not bad. Though I tend to doubt this will be a double-tracked (tubed) test track, so the real deal will probably cost more to build.