View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 11:47 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
It may be the most environmentally favourable solution but knowing land use bylaw's and DA's like I do; I suspect there will need to be parking on the same site. I'm not sure if the act would allow them to tie parking to other sites in the event of a DA or Development Permit - since typically in the Peninsula Bylaw the parking needs to be provided on site (unless specifically exempted). This is why I was suggesting trying to tie the two sites together; because then one could argue that they were one site with one use (some sort of civic related use).

If my assumption is correct and their hands might be tied a bylaw amendment could probably be done to overcome this; but I don't think they'd go for grabbing parking off othersites not owned by HRM in the DP or DA. That being said; it wouldn't stop those sites from leasing out space when an event was on because that happens all the time during stampede for sites near Stampede park and with limited enforcement resources; unless a complaint is launched - we don't usually go after them (that I know of).
In the case of the Halifax Metro Centre, there isn't any on-site parking. However, I think some on-site parking would be required. I just don't think that it should be in the thousands of parking spots but instead more like 500-1,000 spots. On top of this there would be all the surrounding spots.