View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:37 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham recently had all of our streetlights replaced with LEDs. I for one am a huge fan. Especially living in a city with such a high amount of crime, these lights illuminate so much better, and IMO aren't as intense on my eyes.

Next, the city is replacing all of our interstate lights in city limits. This has been a problem for decades in B'ham. The old lights apparently were much more easy to rob of copper, which caused a ridiculously low percentage of interstate lights to actually be functioning. It can be a little unsettling driving from downtown the airport at night. This is especially dangerous when it's dark during morning and afternoon rush hour. Large highway, high speeds, high traffic volume, and currently a TON of construction. All it takes is one headlight being out on the car in your blind spot...

I don't know how other cities are doing it, when I lived in Tuscaloosa, the city handled all of the replacement work. However, here in Birmingham, the city essentially handed over maintenance responsibilities to Alabama Power. The power company shoulders the cost of replacing all of the lights, and then has an incentive to regularly maintain the street lights that they get to sell electricity to.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State