View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Question from an outsider: I am aware that the Boise metro area has begun expanding in population more rapidly as of late, but I am wondering, do other metros in Idaho expect similar population growth down the line? Like, could we expect Idaho in a decade to look like Utah now?
The beauty of Idaho is how spread out the major metro areas are so it shouldn't ever technically look like the Wasatch Front of Utah at least in the next decade but you never know.

You're correct, the Boise\Nampa metro is growing rapidly and will continue to do so so you may see more of a Utah look that you're asking about.

Twin Falls which is 120 miles to the east in highway miles is an up and comer for Idaho as far as metro areas but the so called Magic Valley is also growing at a fair pace and could eventually sprawl out.

Pocatello is another 100 miles east on the highway and is probably the lone metro area of Idaho that isn't growing rapidly and it may have to do with it's location in between the Twin Falls area and the Idaho Falls area but area leaders are pushing to get it going.

If you turn north on Interstate 15 and go about 45 miles is where you'll run into Idaho falls metro which right now is in a growth stage that no other locals around here have ever seen. You may see a Wasatch setup down the line here as the growth in this portion of the Snake River Plain turns toward Rexburg and may eventually reach as far south as Pocatello, you never know.

To get to the the last two metro areas of the state you'll need to go to the panhandle area. I am not as intuned to the growth of Lewiston and CDA as is unfortunate in Idaho the north and south are quite disconnected but the CDA metro has been growing as well and may end up in a sprawl situation as it eventually should connect with Spokane.

Lewiston is just one that I personally never hear about and may be due to its location but the geography of the area makes it all but impossible to sprawl...

I hope I helped, possibly others may chime in.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025