View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
The Sears Roebuck on Santa Monica Blvd, just east of Western Ave, was the store in which my family shopped back in the late forties/early fifties. I remember the wonder of sneaking into the shoe department with my little brother (even when we didn't 'need' shoes) and standing up on the console xray machine (flouroscope?) to see our toes wiggling in our shoes. Some fun!
I can only recall the store from its final post-bunker period when the walls appeared capable of withstanding who-knows-what and there was one exit manned by security. It was fairly obvious that things had changed, and not necessarily for the better. As you noted in an earlier post, the difference in appearance between old and new was dramatic.

From your earlier post, p 139:

A photo from page 325 of this thread seems particularly appropos:

"Looking west from the south side of the 6600 block of Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. There is a fluoroscope business, where a $2 complete x-ray fluroscopic [sic] examination lets you "see your own organs with your own eyes" and the House of Westmore (6638 Sunset Boulevard), a beauty salon owned by the Westmore family of makeup fame. The sign for Wolf's Market can be seen in the background. Circa 1940."

and from page 28 of this thread (GW!):