View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Long Lake 58 is the only FN along the 11 east of Lake Nipigon?? If worst comes to worst, we can still bypass the FN without much difficulty (although that will really be a lose-lose situation). On the other hand, there are many FN's along 17.

As for 17 between Manitoba border and T Bay, besides Shoal Lake 39&40, are there any other?
Along Hwy 11 between Nipigon and Cochrane, the only reserves per se that I can think of that the highway goes through are Lake Helen 53A and Long Lake 58. It does go right along Animbiigoo Zaagi'igan Anishinaabek First Nation (Rocky Bay Reserve on Lake Nipigon) and it appears that widening could actually mean going into First Nation territory. And I'm not sure which First Nation controls this reserve but it is on the North side of the highway for quite a ways. Google maps shows it as "Lake Nipigon Reserve" https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.71039...3510528,13.57z

As vid mentioned, there are other areas that can be part of traditional lands that could be affected. One that I can think of is Taykwa Tagamou Nation which doesn't have an actual reserve but is currently defining its traditional lands that are located between Kapuskasing and Cochrane I believe.