View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 6:32 PM

Agreed. I can see people who followed the team through the rough years almost resenting new fans who jumped on the bandwagon once the team became successful. But for the most part I view this as a positive thing as it provides extra support for the team that they can feed off of emotionally, and additionally it tends to bring people together with a common interest - something we as a society really need nowadays with all the crazy extremist politics going on in the world.

I think when anything becomes popular, you will get the people who jump on to be part of the group, and you will get people who feel excluded because they aren't part of it. It's not unique to sports, though. You don't have to look any further than the fashion world or even the world of whatever ridiculous hairstyle is popular to see the very same thing.

One thing about sports, though, is that it is purely for entertainment purposes and there are not really any 'real world' consequences for liking or not liking it. There are some who IMHO take it a little too seriously, but then that's a societal norm as well.

The media these days will jump on anything that will generate revenue, as their market is ever shrinking (partly through revenue lost due to social media) and somewhat under attack (partly by those extremist politicians). In a sense, it's almost to be expected that they would spend a lot of time promoting the Raptors phenomenon as it has become really big, and as a result is feeding it to make it bigger. In a few weeks, though, nobody will be talking about it and they will have moved on to something else...

Agreed with lighting in the Nova Centre tunnel... it's not a bad space but definitely would benefit from some improved indirect lighting.