View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 6:38 PM

Fwiw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirNous View Post
Previously, Michael Ryerson had posted an interior pic of the Bel Air Sands Hotel. Now known as the Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, it is located at the intersection of Brentwood and Bel Air on seven scenic acres.

Although not nearly as famous as its neighbor, the Bel Air Hotel, the old Bel Air Sands Hotel was also frequented by the rich and famous, and perhaps the rich and infamous.

When I had the privilege of working there for a short time after its sale in 1978, I heard stories from numerous sources about mobsters who lived there. (Tangentially, it was the site of a Godfather scene with actor Alex Rocco portraying Morris "Moe" Greene.) I believe that the history of this hotel would rate highly in the noir category.

So, if anyone has any photos or personal recollections of this hotel please share them.

P.S. Studying these pages has triggered many wonderful memories. Thank you, ER!

BEl AIR SANDS HOTEL
First, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll hang around. As I think I've mentioned, I grew up in and around the several grocery stores my father operated in Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, primarily the original store at Burton Way and Doheny Drive. We delivered groceries and liquor all over the west-side and when I got my drivers license (1960) I was recruited to be the vacation relief and back-up driver. I vaguely remember the Bel Air Sands going in but I don't remember exactly when but sometime before I got my license. Here's a goofy publicity shot announcing the opening but it is not dated, but still interesting in a kitschy kind of a way. I remember a story that went around about this place in the old days. Someone pointed out to me there was virtually no sign on the exterior. From the freeway, you couldn't see a name of any kind. So, the story goes, the place was built by one of the big chains (Holiday Inn when I heard the story) and in a major faux pas they had failed to note Bel Air had a very strict sign ordinance and were going to be prohibited from having any substantial corporate signage. As this played against their hidebound branding culture the hotel was sold off (maybe even before it opened) to the Bel Air Sands interests. I have no way of knowing if it's a true story but I did hear it several times over the years (Holiday Inn was interchangeable with other chains in the retelling). I remember a murder there in maybe '62 or '63 but I think you might safely say that about any semi-high profile hotel.

BEL AIR SANDS HOTEL OPENING CHARLES COBURN & WEIBEL WINE

eBay

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Mar 14, 2015 at 7:01 PM.