View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

OK, I need help again pls. I'm batching uscdl photos for corrections/additions and am doing the old Hall of Records ATM.

In the photo below, what is the Beelman-looking building on the SW corner of 1st & Broadway? The new federal courthouse is going up there now.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/2739/rec/6
That's the nine-story State of California Office Building at 107 South Broadway. It was designed by Stanton & Stockwell with Anson Boyd, and constructed between 1958 and 1960. The parking garage was condemned following the Northridge quake in 1994, and the office building was vacated in 1998. It was eventually razed in 2006. More info at pcad.lib.washington.edu.

Here's a color picture of the shiny new building in 1960.

Huntington Digital Library

And here's a 1967 aerial shot which shows its full size in the lower right corner.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

I thought I'd add these screengrabs from 'CHiPs'. The first is from the pilot episode, and comes just after Jon and Ponch lose the stolen car they're chasing in DTLA. The State of California Building is on the right.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

In the second episode there's another chase through the Civic Center (even though they leave the freeway at the Fairfax Avenue exit). Here's the parking garage of the State of California Building as seen from the entrance of the 2nd Street tunnel.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

The chase ends when they pull over the drunk driver on 2nd Street between Figueroa and the Harbor Freeway. Just for fun I thought I'd include this shot looking south-west from 2nd. The view was completely clear to the far side of 4th Street. It's likely that this episode was filmed in early 1977, so the Westin Bonaventure Hotel on the left would have only been about a year old at the time.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

Last edited by HossC; Mar 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM. Reason: Added 'CHiPs' screengrabs.