View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2008, 10:12 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski82 View Post
Aren't these developments also subsidized to the tune of over $600m? It would be inaccurate to attribute all the development to streetcars. It is probably like bunt said with Denver's SE line, they probably could have gotten the development without the line, but it provided an excuse.

I personally love streetcars, lightrail, etc. But my love for it doesn't go much further than me thinking its pretty cool. I think it would be cool to have a streetcar down Colfax and one down Speer to Cherry Creek. I personally don't mind funding these project with part of my taxes...and 9 out of 10 times rail before another highway. But the arguments for rail transit aren't as convincing as many on this forum make them out to be (I know its an urban forum and I can expect that) and the bill of goods is different from what the pols are selling.
$600 Million sounds familiar as a good "round" figure against the development benefits in Portland. I believe that's the number Karlock has used often to flatten the benefits of the streetcar.

Even if it were subsidized to the tune of $600 Million, that doesn't erase the remaining sum does it?

And of course they aren't as convincing as people would make them out to be since it's not an immediate benefit and it doesn't offer door to door service. Woe to us, the little people.