View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Does this tower stand a chance because of the less than supportive signals being given by the Fulop Administration? The NIMBYs can go to you know where for all I care, this would be the best spot in the whole Journal Square area for a tower like this. Besides, the area is only going to have a certain number of high rises.... any idea how much land will be allowed to have high rises of 500 ft or more? I know the Baldwin project has two 25 story towers and that is allowed under the Journal Square area building plan... this one happened to get a variance from the 25 story limit just outside the more height generous area right on the Square. You're not going to get more than a few really tall buildings so for the most part all this NIMBY hysteria is nothing but "sky is falling" nonsense.
500 Summit is one very odd development. The land is already zoned and approved for a 42 story building, but the NIMBYs are being galvanized by evil forces and are led to believe they can force the city to rescind the approval. Obviously that's not happening because it would be illegal and the city would be sued in court for millions. It would be very cool to get an even taller tower, but I doubt HAP will be able to pull it off unless there is some serious horsetrading going on behind the scenes.

The city is very accommodation to new development and there is a growing number of residents showing up at planning board meetings. Public support for a development project makes a world of difference, and I encourage everyone in Jersey City interested in a particular development to show up at the meetings and speak your mind. I can honestly say that if a few folks had spoke up at the 99 Hudson meeting to express their support for a tower exceeding 990ft, it would have happened. There was no opposition to this project! (At the end of the day, it was not the height limiting this tower but the allowable density. It was at the limit of 1.3 million square feet of development. I wish we had folks to also speak up in support of greatly increasing the FAR limit.)

There is a lot of residential supply coming on the market in the new few years. If it's all absorbed as planned, the next generation of developments could even be more bold.

We should organize and start causing a ruckus at city hall. I'm tired of obnoxious, xenophobic old folks pretending to be the voice of the community.