View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
We don't know if stopping harbour drive was right or wrong. We can see what happened to Halifax when it was stopped but we of course cannot see what would have happened had it been built. ...
Many cites have boulevards along the waterfront. Most of south Florida is a prime example and they have some very beautiful cities.
It MIGHT have been ok, but likely not. Most waterside cities that introduced new multi-laned freeways along their waterfronts at the time of Harbour Drive had terrible results that they are still trying to undo. If you know of any successful stories where a vibrant city was the result of bulldozing historic city fabric for the sake of multiple lanes of vehicles, I'd genuinely be interested in seeing them.

I've been to South Florida, and if I'm thinking of the same things you are, then I believe the buildings and city around the boulevards developed at the same time as the boulevards themselves. I've also seen some terrible examples in Florida - all of Orlando, for example. Miami is not great either, except for south beach where the major vehicular infrastructure near the water is not a highway, and the historic art deco district is of the same vintage as the street grid. Perhaps you have better illustrations.