View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Well, I think you could "theoretically" make one if it included 40 floors of a luxury hotel, if the market was way better, or if there weren't a good number of other condo-supertalls proposed/vaguely under construction with way better views (sorry, I don't think a view of Central Park from 57th St entirely compares to a view of Brooklyn from First Ave).
And yet, there sits Trump World Tower. You've heard of it, I'm sure.

Quote:
Economics wise, skyscrapers have always been about practicality. I don't see a practical argument for one here, even zoning aside (which is obviously a major consideration) just a lot of "OMG WHY NO SUPERTALL." You can bet Trump would heavily lobby against any such building as well, especially since its relatively easy to break through his brand and offer better amenities.
Trump could lobby all he wanted, but if there were an actual possibility of a tower surpassing his, and it could be built, his lobbying would get him as far as the Malkins did concerning 15 Penn Plaza. But if it were as undesirable a location as you say, he wouldn't need to.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.