View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
This is what I've been saying as well. Johnson's whole campaign seems to be predicated on the idea that people and companies are clamoring for a chance to move to or stay in Chicago, and will pay anything to do it. As you said, a candidate like Johnson is better off at the federal level. Local elections need boring centrists that can work within the existing framework of society to actual get things done that are going to have immediate impact. I am a progressive person in just about every way, but that doesn't mean being beholden to our ideology even if it means tanking the city. Johnson's plans just won't work in this reality.
There are a lot of people and companies who do move here (as we know), but the thing many have learned from COVID is that companies have no issues these days establishing new hubs elsewhere (not a Chicago thing but just in general in the US). There is a point where the taxation is going to work against you. From what I've heard, Johnson is realizing that some of what he's proposing is just that. That's good, but he's not realizing that some others are yet. He could also just pull a Lightfoot and just be saying a lot of things just to get elected. Common in politics. He also cannot do everything himself. City Council still has to pass this stuff.

Either way, I agree with a lot (not all) of the social things he says but it's weird that people believe money grows on trees. You cannot just keep taxing people and expect them to be OK with it, especially in the US. I am totally pro "root causes" of all issues but to me it's truly weird that people aren't totally true root causes against the issue of being taxed *too much*.

I don't even think Vallas is that good, but to me he's probably the least likely person to completely cause a bunch of business and people to leave. His track record isn't exactly stellar either but I feel the same way as others. I might be temped to vote for Johnson for something like a Rep, but not mayor.