View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 6:56 PM

Was just out volunteering for Vallas. It was very cold and my hands hurt a bit at the end but it was worth it and I'll be back tomorrow.

I wish we lived in a world where Johnson's policies can work at a city level but we don't: Companies can't practically move out the US. Companies can direct jobs & investment away from Chicago, and with it, the tax base that supports public services, social programs, and, ironically, pensions. Johnson also lacks any experience running large government entities while Vallas has it in spades. Experience matters & we should have learned that by now. Running the City of Chicago should not be your first management job.

I say this as a person who volunteered for Obama, has voted Democrat my entire life, and would probably vote for Johnson for national office (his policies might work at a national level). Johnson should run for US House, not mayor of a city with a ~$35 billion unfunded pension obligation.

Had a convo with one of the campaign staff. Vallas has the advantage in funding and broad based appeal. He's at a major disadvantage in ground game as the CTU has a ready made army of door pounders. This election is existential in Chicago continuing to be a place that attracts jobs and investment along with all it supports. My fear is Johnson wins on ground game.

If you love this city like I think most folks on this forum do, I'd strongly encourage you to go out and volunteer or find some other way to do more this time around than just vote.

Last edited by ebitdadada; Mar 18, 2023 at 7:12 PM.