View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
170 units but only 92 parking spaces? So just a little over half of the residents have the option of owning a car?

Is that normal? I've heard all the talk that urban dwellers don't need cars and don't want cars but is that an actuality in Halifax? Or, does it simply mean that those who can't get spaces will rent spaces nearby.

The reason I ask is that I don't think Halifax is a big enough city to offer that fulfilling of an urban experience... yet. Maybe 20 years down the road when it is built up a little more, and the transit system is (hopefully) better, but for now how many people centralize their lives around a few square kilometers of Halifax's urban core?
I live in a tower downtown and I can report, just based on visuals, that in the two level parking garage, only about a 1/4 of parking spaces are used by residents. The rest stay empty (they are not offered to the public, AFAIK). There are many more units than parking spots as well.

More parking spaces always better (helps drive down costs of parking downtown by providing competition, more spaces for convenience for commuters, etc). But I would guess you'll get a lot of international students in this new building, all who will be walking.