View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Interesting article.

A thought while reading this... There is a constant cry about affordable housing, but rarely mention of job creation, trades training, opportunities for longtime residents to get involved in the booming U City economy. Philadelphia median income rates are still near the bottom among large cities. That is the real issue (IMO), but is often overlooked by leaders (maybe intentionally).

I am not against affordable housing, I know it's needed, but the concern seems inflated considering the amount of vacant buildings and lots scattered around the city, many owned by PHA or the city. Yet Jamie Gauthier seems to view issues through silos and puts the burden or blame on developers and gentrification...
how does a low income person turn a vacant lot or home into affordable housing? While the average price of a home is "affordable" here vs DC or Boston that really means nothing to people here who make way less than the average person in those cities. The problem may not be as bad as it is in some places, but the costs for housing, especially for rentals have way outpaced what many make here. The truth is somewhere in the middle, you may feel certain politicians are overstating the problem and I would argue developers who claim any new rules designed to generate more affordable units will kill development are overstating that problem.