View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 2:41 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
wasn't the lightrail kind of not warmly welcomed in SLC when it was first brought up? prior to the olympics?

I kinda remember hearing so much negativty against it and it being a waste and wouldn't be useful after the olympics etc...

seems like its done very well despite the nay-sayers

nice to see
Yes you are correct. UTA pursued light rail for 10+ years and if I remember correctly it finally passed on the 2nd or 3rd funding referendum. There were many many skeptics saying that nobody would right it. When is opened in 1999 they estimated that to be successful they would need and could attract about 15,000 riders a day. The first year totals were more around 21,000 a day if I recall correctly and they are obviously well beyond that now. It is amazing at the sheer volume of people that have embraced Trax in Salt Lake County, even many of those that have never and will never use it and insist on driving realize that those estimated 40,000 + riders take a lot of cars off the road.

It is apparent that it has been embraced as attributed to yet again another tax referendum on the 06 ballot that raised sales tax to pay for transportation projects with the majority being focused on transit including Trax and FrontRunner. That tax is being initiated quickly as seen by two lines currently under construction and a third by the end of the year.

Very progressive for such a conservative population base.