View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
The best thing about this arena is no public money was used to finance it. Sports franchises all across the country are pick pocketing the taxpayers of those cities. In Sacramento, parking meters were installed all over midtown and increased rates up to 9pm and on Sundays, and parking fines were increased to pay for Golden 1 Center arena. In San Diego, residents' water bills were added huge surcharges to pay for the Petco Park stadium. It's pure corruption.
And those are just the cities that I'm familiar.
Yup. I'm completely with you on this and I think we can attribute it to the fact that there may not be a high enough percentage of sports addicts in San Francisco (as opposed to the Bay Area) to countenance public funding. Recall that a public funding scheme was voted on for the Giants ballpark and it failed so they eventually went to mostly private financing ("mostly" because the land was donated by the city but not the building costs as I recall). The 49ers, on the other hand, were so determined to pick the public pocket they just left town when they couldn't get SF to hand them money.