View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
"Sometimes" isn't nearly strong enough an adjective to describe NIMBY/NIYBYE the past year or so. People are anti-everything now. Hell, look at the medtronic thing in Louisville. "No thanks, we don't want a thousand jobs with an average salary of $186,000 - that's bad for our community".

I'm sorry, but we need entitlement reform and we need it bad - maybe the new supreme court will take it up if a developer has deep enough pockets? Property rights have completely left the conversation unfortunately. On the plus side, yay for the Carmen Court owners on Speer (and yay for Hines). I am most excited about that development because it's bringing more senior units to the centre city - wish we saw more of that (this coming from an evil millennial).
Ok so we're celebrating Hines because they want to demolish a beautiful, historic part of Denver's fabric and build...another generic residential building? Now I see you live in the suburbs where most things are generic, and I suppose you'll call me a NIMBY for daring to challenge market forces, but I'm just bemoaning the fact that this town could give two shits about historic architecture. Everyone is always screaming about property rights and the almighty dollar - it's a libertarian's wet dream. If the owner of the Brown Palace wanted to demolish the building, would even that cross a 'property rights' line for you? Would you have celebrated the replacement of the Aladdin Theatre with a Walgreens, back in the 1980s?

I'm no fan of CdeBaca either and her opposition to all development is blatant pandering to the anti-gentrification crowd, but it would be nice to see more people (like myself) in the center on this issue. It's so gross to see the owners at Carmen Court take 0 pride in this lovely building they call home, willing to send it to the wrecking ball if it makes them rich(er). You can be sure if I owned one of those units, I'd be fighting like hell to find a buyer who would preserve the building. I'm generally a fan of Hines' projects in Chicago, Minneapolis, etc...but this demolition will forever change my opinion of them.

Also if the mayor/city council really cared about preserving history, they'd enact overlays/policies in historic districts to prevent demolitions, instead of relying on neighbors scrambling at the 11th hour to fight property owners. The piecemeal approach to landmarking doesn't work in the long run (look at how much the city has lost and continues to lose), and it just builds resentment within the community.

Last edited by kemachs; Oct 29, 2020 at 8:04 PM.