View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 12:29 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

As mrnyc mentioned, there are some sore spots in downtown Cleveland but the parking lot adjacent to the northwest quadrant of Public Square is the worst. The site was home to a pair of twelve-story buildings - not terribly remarkable but they at least 'hemmed in' the square. They were demolished to make way for the Ameritrust Center, a 1198' tower which would have been impressive but given the economic fluctuations of Cleveland's economy we could have had a 1198' albatross. Anyway, the tower was never built because Ameritrust was acquired by Society Bank which had already built its new headquarters (now known as Key Tower) so the site has been a parking lot ever since.

It's not just that the site is a parking lot, it's that whatever is built is going to be immediately north of the Terminal Tower, one of the most beloved buildings in Cleveland, and the 'flow' of the skyline would be forever changed, so what would be appropriate? I've always thought the best features of the Ameritrust proposal was its curved facade which would essentially act as a mirror for the Terminal Tower, and the mass of that was on the portion of the site *away* from the Terminal Tower. But then, 1198' would be too much and the styling of the Ameritrust would probably be considered a little dated now, although its accents of structural expressionism would certainly be appropriate for Cleveland. With that, I'm going to pick the Bow from Calgary - but only if it can be built so the curve reflects the angles of 200 Public Square (BP Building) and it retains that 'mirror' quality for the Terminal Tower. Here are rough renderins - hope I'm making sense: