View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Hey everybody...

Look, I don't want to derail this thread or anything but looking at all these unbelievable photos of the growing CPS skyline it has me thinking if there could ever be a scenario in which the TimeWarner Center is renovated and vertically expanded to take better advantage of its' location?
You know it was originally intended as a supertall, right? Through NIMBYs fought it bitterly down to the current height.In fact, NIMBYs thought the final height was still outrageous, which seems absurd in the present context.

If the city's economy hadn't tanked in the early 90's, we probably would have had twin supertalls on Columbus Circle, since the city had approved a massive proposal from Kalikow Development back then.

I doubt the TWC (soon to be the DB Center since Deutsche is moving HQ here) will be altered anytime soon. But the adjacent Moinian-owned midrise office tower will probably one day be a residential supertall (Related tried this, but failed to come to agreement with Moinian about 10 years ago).

The whole 57th Street corridor is just getting started with supertalls. If you think TWC looks silly now, in 20 years it will be ridiculous.