View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
According to a report "prepared for International Downtown Association" ironically by an organization called the Philadelphia Center City District both Oakland and University City are almost identical in jobs at just shy of 80K each. Oakland has a negligible couple hundred job edge, but UC having a lot more residents.
The "study" that was originally done and used by the Oakland Planning & Dev. Corp touted Oakland as PA's 3rd largest "business district" and then as 3rd largest "downtown" and then as 3rd largest "economic center" and then most recently as 3rd largest "employment center"... and the study did not separate University City from Center City Philadelphia.

The employment center claim is the descriptor closest to being accurate, even with Univ. City separate from Center City (though with so much development in Univ City ongoing and via the "eye test" on the ground, I'd have a very hard time believing that to be true). However, the interesting (and misleading) issue is that Oakland conveniently includes CMU in its employment numbers.

The vast majority of CMU campus (and its employment activity) is located in Squirrel Hill, not Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
That was also 2010 numbers I believe... and since then UCity has been adding jobs like a mad child and has actually been at the forefront of Philadelphia's growth.

No point in getting any further off topic however.
Not off topic at all really. xzmattzx gave us some great info in this thread; no reason not to add to it.

Oakland is obviously much more separate from downtown Pittsburgh than University City is from Center City Philly... so that fact right there makes Oakland more of its own "downtown" in a way. To me, Oakland is a more cohesive place with its own very distinct vibe... definitely one of the most prominent, impressive, and beautiful educational/medical/cultural districts around. Whereas, University feels just like an extension of Center City, part of the core, and surrounded by a much larger city... without that same kind of unique vibe.

And by the way, xzmattzx, thanks for the photos of the classrooms in the Cathedral -- very cool.