View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncw View Post
With Minneapolis there was discussion of the skyway counting against its urbanism, but I personally disagree with that general train of thought.

I think indoor urbanism should be considered similarly to outdoor urbanism.
So the Mall of America is as urban as, say, the Champs Elysees, because they likely have similar pedestrian counts at certain hours?
Quote:
Are Tokyo's vast underground shopping mall/train stations anti-urban? Or Kowloon Walled City? Is Hong Kong in general not urban because of the podium malls and pedestrian bridges?
Yes, generally speaking. These are privatized spaces that harm urbanity, and reduce street traffic. Not train stations, but certainly skywalks, shopping malls, etc. Of course both HK and Tokyo have tons of great urbanity too.

Quote:
The point sometimes comes up when discussing Detroit's Renaissance Center, with people saying that it's a dead zone or that there's no pedestrian activity and things like that, but the podium of the Ren Cen is one of the most active pedestrian areas downtown.
I suspect you've never been to the RenCen, which is a fortified dead zone, inside and out.