View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2009, 7:06 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
As someone who takes AMTRAK a lot, I can tell you there are enough people who aren't like that to fill up the existing trains. And I can't doubt if those trains could just stick to their snail-like schedules, there'd be a lot more. the chief complaint I hear from fellow passengers isn't how long the schedule says the train is supposed to take but that it takes even longer--many hours longer sometimes. People would flock to any train on a dedicated right of way so it could run on time IMHO--but especially a high speed one.

By the way, since when is flying today "cheap and efficient" (or even all that fast city center to city center)?
There is an ever growing number of people who totally agree with BT's reasoning. To me, being against developing a new form of efficient transportation in favor of sticking with the predominant modes of the times (air and car) defies logic, progressive policies and potentially intelligent solutions to the problems of our times. It also displays an appalling lack of knowledge of both historical and progressive perspectives. This has nothing to do with denying the wonders of flight--I love it and it still amazes me that we can get such big planes into the sky in the first place, even though I understand how it is done.