View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Thanks for the AZ photo tours. I'm a little sad you didn't do a Phoenix photo tour, but based on the descriptions and info in your posts, I don't think you really spent much time in Phoenix purposefully and maybe don't have any pictures. Hopefully you enjoyed the Heard Museum and sorry you didn't get to eat at the Superstition Meadery. I've been to the Prescott location, but not the new branch in DT Phoenix yet.

I have a lot to say regarding the Phoenix area, it's built environs, and overall history in response to several posts, but it's not worth it nor the point of any of your threads, so i will refrain. I will say there is a lot of indigenous history and sites you could explore in Phoenix and the Salt River Valley. I've personally experienced some very interesting things (being an engineering inspector on the light rail when it was constructed I learned a lot about the Hohokam and other indigenous cultures... I saw actual bodies/burials unexpectedly unearthed from inches away during construction and the associated rituals after the fact. I even now live a within a couple miles of some petroglyphs well within the City limits.)

Anyway, thanks again for your photos of AZ!
Thanks for your comments. I'm amazed that you live within a few miles of petroglyphs, that's really awesome! Maybe on our next road trip through AZ, we can check out some of those indigenous sites.

Yeah, I only took a few pictures of Phoenix. We were specifically there for the Heard Museum, which we really enjoyed. In fact, we were there longer than we thought we'd be, we were there probably for at least 2 hours. We didn't realize how extensive it is; it's a very good museum.

We ended up having lunch in Phoenix too, and on the way back to LA, we stopped in Phoenix again for a late lunch.

Since I mentioned Phoenix at the beginning of this thread, I'll post some pics.

I took a lot of pictures of the exhibits at the Heard, but I'll only post a few of them.

The Heard Museum, Phoenix

For those who don't know, The Heard Museum is a non-profit museum in Phoenix dedicated to American Indian art.

Photo by me

Photo by me

I liked this piece. I also liked the one to the right, but I didn't take a picture of it.

Photo by me

This one's pretty old...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

I was thinking of using this as my facebook profile pic.

Photo by me

They had a Leon Polk Smith exhibit.

Photo by me

This was part of an extensive exhibit about "boarding schools," where in the late 1800s and well into the 1900s, indigenous American kids were taken from their families and forced into so-called boarding schools, where they were forcibly assimilated into American culture, including forced conversion into becoming Christians. It was a very moving exhibit, and frankly, it pissed me off. These kids were basically made to feel that their own indigenous culture was inferior and "savage," and they were supposed to forget their culture, including language and food. They never got to experience their own native ceremonies, like the one they have upon reaching puberty, something that was celebrated in their culture. Of course puberty was something not talked about in western culture in the late 1800s or early 1900s, it was almost something to be ashamed of.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Lunch in Phoenix

This was our first stop in Phoenix en route to Tucson.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

We ate at Taco Chelo.

Photo by me

I didn't get tacos, though. I got a salad.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Lunch in Phoenix, Part 2

This was our stop in Phoenix for lunch, headed back home to LA. We ate at a place called Bliss ReBAR. We randomly chose it; we weren't aware that it's a gay bar... or do just a lot of gay people go to it?

Photo by me

I got tacos. They were pretty good.

Photo by me

Tonto National Monument

Might as well post just a few pics of Tonto National Monument. It's an amazing place... a 700 year-old cliff dwelling.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Feb 18, 2021 at 3:42 PM.