View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
for chicagoland, not including the MASSIVE initial sprawl explosion in the immediate post-wat period, i think "suburbia" peaked in the 90s, at least going by the numbers.

yeah, there was still solid growth in the burbs in the '00s, but you could also sense that change was in the air with stalled-out housing developments in the exurbs starting to become more noticeable and some of the surplus malls began closing. and then, of course, after the forclousre crisis, the bottom truly fell out for chicago suburbia in the 2010s.
I don't disagree with that assessment, maybe it's more appropriate to say the early and mid 2000's, before the market crash, was sort of the swan song of suburban growth as we traditionally think of it. At least it marked the end of the era that started in about 1984, when interest rates started getting lower and boomers started buying modern suburban houses that are a bit different from the initial post-war houses that their parents bought and that they (boomers) grew up in.