Thread: Halifax Retail
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree about the online shopping. I absolutely refuse. My personal trifecta for opposing online shopping is concern over giving out my VISA card information, porch pirates and the hassle over returns.
I deal with your first concern by having a card with a very low limit that I only use for online purchases. Porch pirates aren't really a concern in my neighbourhood, or at least they haven't been yet. And... returns...

Quote:
The last time I was at Mic Mac Mall, the Bay looked really long in the tooth, and I don't think the chain has invested any money in the store in the last 20 years. HBC is still in contraction mode, and I fear that ultimately it will only maintain a presence in the big six or big eight Canadian cities. Since there are only two Bay stores on the east coast, I think supply chain logistics might mean the closure of the store in the near future. I may be wrong, but this is my fear.
It's my fear that they are just letting this slide until the writing is on the wall.

Quote:
I personally have no problem with the name, but I have trouble seeing the name lasting much longer (unless the owners can make a case that the mall is named after the nearby lake rather than the Indian tribe). I doubt the aboriginals would buy this however.
The name doesn't bother me either, it's been named that since 1972 (probably named after the lake), but with the political climate of today, I'm surprised that the slang (English) version of the tribe's name hasn't come into the crosshairs yet. It's not a big deal to me either way. In a sense, naming the lake and mall after the tribe was probably an attempt to respect the local indigenous tribe, and perhaps that's why nothing has happened.