View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 10:59 PM

Been away for a couple weeks, so to catch up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Block 162 Update: 6/27/2020

Despite its height and location, I'm surprised to see it's making more of an impact on the skyline than I thought it would. Even from the west side with the Hyatt in front of it, the Hyatt is slender enough to allow Block 162 to make its presence felt. Best of all, the blank wall of Dominion Plaza is now hidden!
Those photos are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Just a brief observation: it's a little hard to tell for sure, but judging from your photos, Block 162 looks to be around the same height as (and possibly just a little bit taller than) the Hyatt Regency in front of it. I know the Hyatt stands 489' / 149m tall. Most of the sources I'd read put Block 162's height at around 450', but is it possible it could actually be quite a bit higher than that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
2020 claimed my camera so I had to get a new one. Here's some skyline candy for you guys. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this crazy time!
More awesome photos! Those look amazing! Did you use any special filters? This looks like a much better, nicer, and more colorful version of this picture from the Wikipedia article on Denver (maybe it's time to update that old photo? ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
This is Denver's 20 year master plan for parks and public spaces. IMO converting some of parking Coors Field has would be a great opportunity that would provide another big park downtown, and motivate more residential development in the area. It's a fun read, especially for anyone having an indoor holiday from potential covid exposure. Stay safe out there.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...Plan-FINAL.pdf
Thanks for sharing, this'll be a good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Buzz Geller definitely a greater threat to development than COVID.

If it helps, I still blame him for the failure of 650 17th. Yeah, I know that project was a long-shot by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes it's just easier to have a single person to point the finger at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I’d like to see Kairoi build a real high rise in Denver like they are currently building in Austin. I don’t understand why a smaller metro like Austin can get all of these new high rises but Denver cannot unless the land/construction prices are just too expensive here.
You and me both.

Then again, to be fair, Austin is actually the larger city (nearly 1 million people compared to 700,000 in Denver), and they're also close to an even larger city, San Antonio (about 1.5 million people). Metro area-wise, Denver's is just slightly larger than Austin's, but I would argue that Austin is close enough to San Antonio that they could be considered part of the same metro area (and by that same token, even if you expanded Denver's to include the Springs, Greeley, and Ft. Collins, San Antonio/Austin's would still be bigger). It could be argued that the current building boom in Austin is just them hitting their "natural share" of number of high-rises, whereas we already hit ours... in the 1980s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Sachs has the story but the photos are courtesy Kevin J Beaty

Hey, look, the Platte Street Plaza project is done
July 9, 2020 -Denverite
Looks great! Kudos to the photographer.