View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 11:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
PG I think the new location could turn out to be much better as there are less constraints on the design. I wasn't all that thrilled with the old one. Maybe they will choose another firm? (fingers crossed) Heck with all the stararchitects working in the city now maybe they could get someone like Frank Gehry? (Don't shoot me)

As for the piers 30/32 -why not but a multi-use park there? Look at what they've done in NYC.
Looking at the space in MB a little more, you're right that this could turn into an interesting building. Perhaps they'll fill the lot, including many of the restaurants and other ancillary developments within one footprint. I still can't envision something on the order of the Sydney Opera House, but it certainly can be a quality building.

The problem with piers 30/32 is the cost to repair them. Developers with the means (and dream) to pay for that don't come along everyday. Unfortunately, there isn't profit in a park to cover that kind of expense so it would take a huge grant from someone to make that work. And NIMBYs will kill anything profitable enough to cover the repairs. I won't be surprised if they rot in place until they finally crumble into the bay.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park