View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 4:31 AM
BANNED

La 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post
I've been reading this thread for months now after having accidentally discovered it in a quest for what late 1940s L.A. looked like to refresh my memory from a summer of 1947 vacation that our family took across New Mexico, Arizona, and Southern California. I was a ripe 5 years old at the time but thanks to a near photographic memory there were many things from that trip running around in the old noggin. At the very least, this thread has to be an astonishing pictorial history of Los Angeles accompanied by facts probably long forgotten by lifetime residences of the City. Thanks to all of you.

Later, I'll be posting concerning the theater at 1735 Vine, now known as the Avalon. The building itself belongs to a very close friend of ours who acquired it as the Palace Theater in lieu of legal fees. Did you guys know there is a connection between it and the Knickerbocker? Or that it is supposedly haunted? This theater may have the most colorful past of all the remaining theaters from Hollywood's glittering past. Actually our friend is a bit of an interesting character, having been at times Merv Griffin's tennis partner and a skeet shooting buddy of Charlton Heston. At one time she even chaired the Walk of Fame Committee. I digress!
Thanks Retired for the nice post. LA of 1947 was very different from what she is now-a-days. Back then the city streets were crowded with the clang-clang of street cars. People smoked everywhere. There were no freeways or homeless people [well hardly any]. Oh, I almost forgot, there were many drive-in restaurants. Today they're down to just a few and even then those only operate on certain evenings.

Also one thing else...the cars had real red glass taillights....today, everything is plastic.