View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 11:20 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
To be fair, I voted for 2050.

A regional company isn't going to cut it for a signature tower (by signature I assume you mean something in the high-30 to low-40 story range). You would have to have a large corporation with a big corporate HQ to pull of such a thing. Corporate HQ's are where the ego's are located that can pull off signature towers. A regional HQ doesn't have that. The executive ego is pretty important. Oil companies tend to have big egos and like to show off. Other industries, such as mining, are far more modest in their displays of wealth and tend to gravitate away from things such as signature towers. So, you've got to have the right kind of company and the right kind of ego to pull it off.

OKC also has Devon and Chesapeake Energy. Each of those companies probably has at least 1,000 workers and executives with big swinging dicks (the executives are the most important part) located in OKC. What kind of company has that footprint in SLC? Zions Bank? Huntsman?
In Salt Lake's case yes I think a tower around say 33+ floors could work as our signature. A regional HQ could pull it off since most companies when building their own buildings tend to tease out a lot of their floors to other companies. Meaning there's more then just that one company occupying the building.
Salt Lake came close of getting what I thought could of been a signature tower back in the early 2000's with the "Zion Social hall center" ( Can't find a old rendering anymore of this )
http://www.emporis.com/building/zion...akecity-ut-usa
How I'm not sure what company/ies this tower would of been home to, but it looked to be a mix-use tower that would of had both commercial office residential space. This tower also would of been Salt Lake's new tallest standing at 469 FT beating Wells Fargo that stands at 422FT.
Point is I believe that if any of our local companies wish to develop their own tower, beating 422FT shouldn't be that hard for them. Even if they don't need all the office space, then lease out half the building.
Or have it as a mix-use. Back in the late 90's into the early 2000's 222 South Main at one point was planned to stand at 29-stories making it our new tallest. The top five floors or so would of been Condos. But instead we had to settle for a 21-story all office space building.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976