View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvancouver View Post
I agree being pedestrian friendly is important but dubai is just way to hot for most of the year for it to be realistic, you walk outside for 10 minutes and your sweaty
As someone who is involved in the Urban Planning sector in a desert city, I would have to disagree with this statement.

While it may be hot, the urban design is a major component to heat perception (or lack thereof). Vegetation, shade, water, interesting surroundings, among many other factors can make a place very pedestrian-friendly regardless of temperature.

And if we say that you are correct that pedestrian-oriented cities are impossible in warm climates (which is possible because I can sometimes be a little defensive when it comes to heat being perceived as intolerable and of course people have their own opinions), then I would argue that "hot for most of the year" is inaccurate. At least in Phoenix, the heat lasts from June to August. But at other times (9 months of the year), I would say it would be tolerable to a greater range of people.