View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 3:57 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by windscar View Post
After that email, I support HST even more now, all that's left is to educate my foks. And I fully agree with you twoNeurons, it really doesn't need to be on the bill, I say just put (+12% HST) and if people really want to know then they can do the math.
IT doesn't even need to be on the price tag. It should be included, not tacked on.

and btw, I love this answer:
Quote:
Question: Why didn’t we talk about this during the election?

It just wasn’t on our radar. As part of the previous budget process (as in every year prior), the Ministry of Finance had looked at the pros and cons of adopting the HST. As was the case in each of the previous years, the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. In the planning for the 2009 budget, like previous years, the decision was that HST did not make sense for B.C. given the inflexibility of the federal government and the fact that the only provinces to adopt a VAT system were east of Ontario.

During the election, the BC Liberal Party received dozens of "surveys" asking about the BC Liberal platform. In a couple of the surveys, the party was asked about the HST. The answer was that the party's platform, while aware of the benefits the HST offered, did not contemplate the adoption of the HST in B.C.

But circumstances changed after the election when we were once again able to engage with experts in the Ministry of Finance and were made aware of the full impact of Ontario’s actions and the new flexibilities provided by the federal government. We had to move fast if we were not to be left at a competitive disadvantage to Ontario.

<snip>

Colin Hansen
Minister of Finance
It doesn't matter which "fearless leader" you support, this has a very high probability of being a lie. Are we to believe that the HST benefits were sprung on the Minister of Finance who wasn't fully aware of its benefits? Disingenuous at best.

And the whole "we had to decide before the middle of July" to be on the same time frame garbage is just that... garbage. It would make very little difference to our "Competetive advantage" to be on a schedule that was a few months later. I'm sure the federal gov't would even give us an extra month to decide.

The reality is, that the current gov't, like any gov't, knew that they had to make people think it was futile to resist, because the decision was already made and there was nothing they could do about it.

Again, it doesn't matter whether it's Liberal, NDP, Green or whatever... just tell me the truth.