View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's interesting how resistant the Canadian marketplace generally is to those types of 'in between' sized grocers... the ones that, like Carrefour City, are maybe double the size of a 7-Eleven but still manage to offer pretty well a full range of groceries. I suppose there must be some reason for it, but you would think there would be some room between tiny convenience stores and conventional full sized supermarkets.

As for Starbucks, it does seem that their star is fading. The only people I know who get excited for it are those in their 40s who came of age in the 90s when Starbucks had some real brand cachet. To younger people, I get the impression that Starbucks is basically like McDonald's to them... a familiar place you can go to in a pinch.
When I was in high school in the mid 80's, I quit my job at Mac's to work at the new Hasty Market that opened a few blocks away. That store has since shrunk down to a normal convenience store size, but when I worked there, it was a 7 aisle store with a produce section, a 6 door walk in freezer, a deli and in store bakery. It was quite popular with the people that lived in the high rises behind the store, but I guess as you say, the concept didn't take off in Canada. At the time, Mac's also had a larger format called Mac's Plus and they didn't last long either.