View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Heard a rumor about a new project supposedly being announced in the next 30 days thats around 38 stories.. apparently will be similar to state palace hotel (so this new building would be built atop an existing smaller one in the CBD)... just curious if anyone has heard anything or not? again a rumor but from someone reputable enough for me to ask around?
I haven't heard anything, but love to speculate on such a potentially large project. A few possibilities off the top of my head:
Harrah's Hotel - this would fit the bill of building on top of another, but not really historic. IIRC it was proposed as a much smaller building, about 20 floors, but I wouldn't be surprised if they scaled it up given the location.

400 Block of Canal - there was a pretty large hotel proposed a while back, but that included tearing down a bunch of historic buildings. The location would certainly make sense for that size if they can incorporate the older structures.

Parking lot surrounding the Orpheum - certainly large enough to build a substantial tower and could potentially incorporate the buildings damaged by fire on Canal St.

400, 500, or 800 blocks of Poydras - all partially occupied by smaller older buildings. 500 block was once proposed for a 70 floor Trump tower, so the scale wouldn't be out of place

Canal Place - wouldn't necessarily require building over other buildings, not really historic, but a prime location for that size of a tower.

Several blocks partially occupied by historic buildings in the area bound by Poydras, Loyola, Gravier and O'Keefe, I'd also add the one adjacent to the Energy Centre. Not sure if the demand would be there to warrant a 38 floor building, but the area is certainly picking up with the SMD nearby.