View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:30 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. The best way you can thank these photographers and local businesses is through hiring them or buying from them, if you can.

As we enter the last week of Summer, I wanted to know: What is the Song of the Summer for 2020? By a 14-3 vote from friends, family, and co-workers, in six different states, this over-repetitive pop song was selected. Enjoy the last week of Summer!
Video Link

Don't forget, it's Census 2020 time! And Forsyth County has giveaways planned at these locations, where officials will help you with the Census. It only takes five minutes and will impact development and funding for projects seen in this thread. Do you want to be a part of the awesome projects happening in this thread... this is your chance! If you haven't completed the Census, visit these locations:

Sept. 17, 4 – 6 p.m., North Forsyth High School (enter off Shattalon Drive).
Sept. 19, 10 a.m. – Noon, Enterprise Center, 1922 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

If you can't go those locations, visit https://my2020census.gov or call 1-844-330-2020 to complete the Census.

Bailey South:
Black Mountain Chocolate said they will open in their new space in December. They originally planned to open in Bailey South in June, but COVID-19 delayed construction progress. We have photographs, below, of their progress.

Credit: DWSP

Credit: hercampuswfu

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Credit: TBJ

Black Mountain Chocolate Bar:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Monument Stairs:

Adding the stair treads to the Monument Stairs:

Credit: sgiraffe7

Credit: kristin_koelsch

Credit: thepapage

Credit: alma.e.quiroz

Credit: ddavisphotographer

Morris Building:
Linville | Team Partners, the company leasing the power plant complex (this is phase three in the complex) and a company founded by the developer, said this project is under construction (in an advertisement), but I see no signs of construction?

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Excavated Kaleideum site on the bottom left and graded Liberty Park site on the bottom right:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

410 North Liberty Micro Apartments:
A half-block segment of the Fayetteville & Western Plank Road was officially closed for this project.

Hyatt Place Hotel:

Credit: mendozaovalle

8 West Third Street:

Credit: mcknight.photography

New Downtown Elementary School:
This downtown school will cost around $34.6 million and have room for 500 students. Completion is set for Fall 2023. Interestingly, this is a brownfields project, which involves the demolition of the former Thomasville Furniture Factory and site clean-up. The former Thomasville Furniture Building has sat empty since it closed in 2003. This is located in downtown's Industry Hill Neighborhood.

Salem Parkway:

Credit: savsunden

TrueLook Headquarters: Built!
This project is now completed. Wow, that was fast! This tech company is doubling in size every year. Yes, this is the new headquarters for the company that operates the cloud storage, designs, sells/rents, and makes the construction cameras you often see posted on this site.

Credit: TrueLook

Depot District:
This project received a $24.9 million grant from the USDOT to pay for a multi-modal bus and passenger rail station. This is an adaptive-reuse project, converting a former furniture factory building into a passenger station. Most of the money will be spent on creating a grade separated rail crossing and track improvements for passenger rail.

Political leaders and a rendering inside the historic building to be converted into a multi-modal passenger rail and bus station:

Credit: reptedbudd

401 West End Blvd:

Credit: fiddleandfigmarket

Credit: alkalihairstudio

Credit: alkalihairstudio

Roll-up doors are installed:

Doors leading to the former canal:

Shift Creative Agency Headquarters:
This creative employer is expanding and hiring. You should see the view from their under construction office! An art gallery is on the ground floor. Yes, it's in downtown's Arts District.

Credit: susanmaiercolon

Credit: susanmaiercolon

Carolina University Downtown Dormitory:
Still waiting for the university to demolish the vacant hotel building on the site, so work can start on their proposed seven-storey downtown dormitory. The entire neighborhood around it has wanted this building, on the far edge of downtown, demolished for years! I wish the City would force demolition, due to the condition of the property, but so far they haven't. I'm guessing they won't do anything with the site this year, since small universities are struggling with COVID-19 issues right now. They did install a sign at the site, though I wouldn't think the university would want people from out-of-town to think they are located in that vacant building. That old building is falling-apart. I noticed the windows are falling-out of it. I really wish they would demolish it, even if their plans for a new building are delayed.

The university installed signage at the site of their proposed new 7-storey downtown dormitory:

Credit: american_custom_graphics

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
WPDA has hired NAI Commercial Real Estate Services to sell or lease the buildings. WPDA would prefer to sell the buildings to companies interested in using the spaces. They also have developable land with rail service available. The properties are for Life Sciences, Aerospace, and Advanced Manufacturing and have easy access to Smith Reynolds Airport and downtown's Innovation Quarter.

110 South Broad Street: Built!
As I've said before, I don't think I've ever seen a construction project more hated in Winston-Salem than this project. I don't usually post projects like this, but it's so asked about it's almost like I had to include updates on it. What makes it so hated? For some it's the location, for others it's a lack of storefront spaces or good urbanity, there are people who believe the developer had something nefarious in mind when he selected this site, and for a large percentage of Winston-Salem residents it's just a dislike of these facilities. Since it's outside the downtown overlay, there aren't any restrictions on structures built in the Ballpark / Village District. Please ask your council person to expand the downtown overlay to this neighborhood or create a new urban overlay for this neighborhood. With many not wanting to see this structure from the ballpark, showing it from ballpark views could be a bad idea? It appears to be nice (it's one of the more upscale companies for higher income customers) and is a needed amenity for downtown residents. They selected this location due to the large number of upper income residences in the downtown area. I wish it was a more urban design, but I'm guessing what it is limits the design. It even has storage space for your wine. A big attraction for moving to Winston-Salem is Winston-Salem's Metro Area is North Carolina's Wine Country. I think it will do well.

The most hated project in Winston-Salem is now completed:

Credit: beesafestorage

It's visible from the ballpark, Salem Parkway, and the new bicycle commuter suspension bridge:

It's worth noting: An office building, parking deck, and apartments will one day block this building from view for those at the ballpark. And more apartments tells you why it's there.

It looks nice (nice like upscale) though and yes, they offer storage for your wine collection and Winston-Salem is in North Carolina's Wine Country:

500 West 5th:

A look at the building's park space at the entrance:

Credit: Greater Winston-Salem

The Easley Apartments:

Friday (9/11):

Friday (9/11):

A different view of this project (Sunday 9/6):

Credit: averylpatterson

This is an interesting northern-style neighborhood you don't usually see in the south (Sunday Morning 9/6):

Credit: averylpatterson

The Easley Apartments project did demolish a few of the old storefronts and offices in the neighborhood, including a building with a popular mural and a loved blue building from the 1930s. I'm thinking The Easley will be an improvement, but we shall see when it's completed.

Cloverdale Redevelopment:
Work seems to have slowed on this project? Possibly due to COVID-19? People are taking "last photographs" before the demolition begins. This project is, without a doubt, gentrification. Affordable housing in walking distance of several employers, including the city's largest employer, and people do walk to work and shopping from here. This will be replaced with luxury apartments.

Credit: winston_360

Credit: bmiltphoto

TW Garner Campus:
TW Garner is acquiring a 30-acre site next to Smith Reynolds Airport for a multi-building campus. They will consolidate all of their operations there in late-2021. These are expected to be large buildings. Yes, they will start work in Fall of this year! The site offers room for rapid growth, including rapid job growth. Their headquarters will remain downtown on Fourth Street.

Twin City Motor Building Adaptive-reuse:
Workers cut the stair opening and lifted the restored Model-T Ford into the building, through that new stair opening, for an historic exhibit on the building's past as a Ford Assembly Plant.

Restored Model-T Ford exhibit in the space:

Credit: Twin City Motor Company

The showroom space is still rough:

Credit: rybehenderson

Credit: stewartknight

Forsyth County Courthouse:
This project is now pulling permits for construction. It will be 239,656 square feet and cost $85.8 million. Balfour Beatty Construction is the General Contractor.

Moon Light Drive-in Theatre:
This doesn't look permanent? I'm guessing this isn't the Moonlight Drive-in proposal and is a temporary drive-in at the Moonlight proposal site? So, I will leave the name as-is.

Credit: jksincorporated

Sentinel Commons:
A law firm has moved into office space in this building. This project's next phase of exterior construction could be delayed, due to COVID-19 issues impacting their financing? This may delay Arden's headquarters from moving into the building next Summer? Since they have interested tenants for more office space, they may convert the co-working space into additional office space. Expect to see more office tenants moving-in around the second half of 2021, as this becomes more of a multi-tenant office building. It's interesting to see strong demand for office space in downtown Winston-Salem right now. The ground floor of the 1927 "Independence Hall" building will change from a retail incubator to a restaurant space. I guess COVID-19 impacted the retail incubator? If you're interested in using this space for your restaurant, contact them about this exciting space! As you can see, this project is changing.

Chronicle Building:
This building now has saw service and you can see the progress through the windows and in the courtyard, where outdoor seating was constructed.

Constructing outdoor seating:

Credit: aseelah.__

A look inside:

Credit: rybehenderson

Science & Office Building:
I've searched for photographs of this building, over the past few months, and can't find any. I did find an update: They are now connecting it to the City Water/Sewer System.

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

Credit: triadfoodpics

Roof cross-over ladder:

Credit: mmfsteel

A look at the rooftop amenity level:

I see plastic over the windows of the stone-clad building, which leads me to believe they are painting:

Credit: aseelah.__

Credit: stewartknight

Two Tech Companies Move to Winston-Salem:
Two tech companies have moved their headquarters from Atlanta to downtown Winston-Salem. Firefeed is a community building social media company and Proodos is project management software using AI and analytics.

Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center Renovation:
The Manitowoc MLC 300 with VPC Max Series 3 Counterweight attachment arrived in 42 tractor-trailers. "The crane has an 18,500 lb lift capacity at a 420-foot reach, 275' main boom, 295' luffing jib and 474,000 lbs of counterweight."

The site now has a crane:

Credit: vannoyconstruction

Link Apartments 4th Street:
If you're an artist living in Winston-Salem and would like to design a sculpture for the corner of Fourth and Spruce streets, you must apply by October 9, 2020. Of course the theme is already selected: Arts & Innovation. Interactive artwork is preferred and it should be 8 feet / 2.5 metres tall or taller. Developer Grubb Properties is paying for the base and there is money available from both the City's public art fund and the developer for design and fabrication. Each finalist will also be paid to prepare and present their idea. We should have a winning design in November of this year. The rendering in this thread is the current rendering and the rendering the City is using is old.

Credit: asburymotors

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Alternative Transportation:

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:

You can see the gabion walls taking shape, with Salem College and Oliver Cycling Park on the right side of the bridge:

Credit: Tar Heel Dashcam

Downtown Streetscape:
Sharpe Brothers was selected as the contractor for the two-way conversion and signal changes in the first phase of this project. Completion is set for September 2021. Expect a major road diet near the ballpark!

Oliver Cycling Park:
Landscape architect Walter Hood is close to starting his part of this project, which will have layers built into the side of the ridge and connect to several themes, such as sports, community, farming, and more. There are 30 living descendants of Peter Oliver, including NBA star Chris Paul.

The Portrait Project sculpture is being fabricated and eight separate murals are currently underway. Installation may take a week or more. COVID-19 has delayed materials and engraving for this art project. Look for an unveiling of the art on April 10, 2021.

Sculpture Location:

Credit: Kelly Bennett

Gabion wall installation:

Credit: NCDOT

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
This is an $86 million project, including terminal renovations. The City has approved plans to connect downtown's IQ District with Smith Reynolds Airport and connect the airport and IQ District with Whitaker Park. Whitaker Park and the airport are one mile (1.6 kilometres) apart. The airport is roughly three miles (4.8 kilometres) from downtown's IQ District and the IQ District is also roughly 3 miles (4.8 kilometres) from Whitaker Park. In addition to connecting an airport innovation center to universities, they are also connecting this project, educationally, to Carver High School and the local community college. This is a significant project that seems to be accelerated? I can't recall the last time I noticed a local government involved project moving this fast. There are no COVID-19 delays.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:

It's under the small arch on the bridge:

Credit: mikejohnsonphoto

Green Street Pedestrian Bridge:

An update on this suspension bridge:

Off-Subject:

Video Link

"Definitely makes a difference to be able to take minute during the day to appreciate how beautiful Winston-Salem is! Love this place!"

Credit: John Wright

We do too!

Credit: chadcampbellphoto

An interesting laneway / alley:

Credit: leafandfox

Credit: eightpointsmuaythaiandfitness

The Brown Townhouse (Second Empire), built in the 1860s:

Credit: denzstrick

Credit: sgiraffe7

Your City