View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:31 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO_0121 View Post
It's interesting how Old John is actually more wide known, or at least, more famous or talked about within chicagoans than Sears.
Back when I really started to get into skyscrapers back in middle school, I actually thought it was the Sears Tower. I remember watching shows like Family Matters and Married with Children and always making sure to catch the opening of the show so that I could see the skyline. It wasn't until one day in middle school in Social Studies that I found a picture of the Sears Tower in my textbook, and realized I was wrong. I think that was really the first time I was really aware and interested in skyscrapers elsewhere. I had been interested in them in Austin, but since the internet wasn't around, and I wasn't exactly reading skyscraper and architecture books at the time, I had to rely on obscure photos of cities in books and magazines. I feel like Big John is one of those skyscrapers that really got me interested in the subject. I'd say it's probably the most iconic Chicago skyscraper around. It's like a mesh between the USX Tower in Pittsburgh, and the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco. It's just a great skyscraper.