View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Bingo! I often hear this from out of town visitors from larger cities. It hits a chord as it is one of the things I appreciate about living here as well. Not to mention the ocean beaches that are easily accessible within a half hour drive.
This is a huuuuuge benefit of living in Halifax. I think there needs to be a continuous effort to make sure the city and province continuously invest in our outdoor spaces. Halifax’s population is growing, and more people are taking advantage of this perk, which are both wonderful things. However, if we remain stationary in terms of investment in outdoor spaces they will become overused. The city seems to be doing a good job in terms of things like Blue Mountain Birch Cove and the Purcell’s Cove Backlands, but I fear the Province is really dropping the ball on their end of things. A lot of the beach infrastructure is under-maintained, and there doesn’t seem to be much effort to open up new areas for exploration to reduce the pressure on existing ones.