View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post

I know a broad range of new Canadians and they eat at the same expensive restaurants I do. I've heard multiple times from multiple people that they wished there was more to do here. They expect transit options and venues to be available to them like stadiums, arenas and performing stages, so I can't say I agree with your statement, we just think that way because it makes it easier to say no to making investments in those areas.
Counterpoint: Name another CMA under a million people that has as much to offer in terms of outdoors amenities, performing-arts options, nightlife/culinary choices, etc., as Halifax. Victoria and Quebec City are comparable, and that's about it. Maybe Hamilton thanks to proximity to Toronto. For that matter, as mediocre as the city's public transit is, it's still better than virtually any city in its size class.

And given that smaller CMAs have been for years among the country's fastest growing, I'm not sure that we're really handicapped by lack of choices.

Having said that, it's pretty certain that 2020 will represent a trough in growth from coast to coast. We'll see whether pent-up demand makes up for it by rebounding extra-strong next year. Even if not, taking a year off from robust growth might not be a bad thing. The housing and infrastructure pressures the city faces have been multiplying, and some time to play catch-up wouldn't be the worst thing.