View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheNorm View Post
I'm looking for old photos of 726-740 Hartford Ave. Is anyone able to help out!?

These posts from four years ago by ethereal_reality and HossC feature 740 Hartford Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

EBAY

" ROSELLE APTS. 740 HARTFORD AVE. LOS ANGELES, CAL. FEB. 23, 1920 MR. BROWN PROPRIETOR "

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here's another snapshot taken at 740 Hartford Avenue.

EBAY

As you can see...the caption says the photo was taken "outside the kitchenette". Do you think this is the back of the house or the side of the house?

_

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This 1940 aerial (below, left) shows that there was another building behind 740 Hartford Avenue. The building next door (above 740 on the aerial) is numbered 734 & 736, so maybe the second house moved by Mr Wiley in 1913 (originally 712 Hartford, it became 738 Hartford) was placed behind 740. That might explain the number of residents that oldstuff found. Perhaps someone with access to the Sanborn maps can check it out.

mil.library.ucsb.edu/Google Maps

I think that the sweet potato photo was taken between the two buildings, looking toward the lower right corner of the aerial view, and past the house below 740 on the aerial. You'll remember that the house below was missing from the 2009 GSV image I posted. I think it was 742 & 744 Hartford Avenue, which got its demo permit in 1980.

While trying to find info on the building behind 740, I found that it was still there in 1972, but gone by 1980 (according to Historic Aerials). The only building permit in that date range was an alteration/repair permit from October 30, 1979, but it held the answer. There was obviously a fire at 740 which necessitated a repair to a portion of the front building and the demolition of the middle and rear portions. They even included a handy plan. Notice that the fire damage to the front portion was to the roof and 2nd story at the back right. I'm guess that the fire may have damaged the house next door, which was further back from the road. Maybe its demo a year later was connected. Now I look at these plans again, I think that the sweet pototo photo was taken on the steps at the lower-right corner of the rear portion.

www.ladbs.org