View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Are homeowners in Cupertino clamoring to subdivide their lots or build multifamily housing so that their properties would be worth more?
Even if only 10% of homeowners in Cupertino want to, why should the remainder be able to block them from doing so?

I mean - I hate doing this, because I sound like a libertarian - but what gives your neighbor the right to tell you want to do with your property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
What's funny is how every proposed solution to recalcitrant homeowners exercising local, bottom-up regulatory control involves some type of heavy handed, top-down government initiative to overrule local control for the "greater good" of society at large.
Every solution? Absolutely not. You can go the Japanese model and have nationwide zoning. Or you could go the Houston model and have minimal zoning.

Once again, if zoning existed a century earlier, literally no U.S. cities would have ever been built. Virtually every mixed-use, urban neighborhood in the U.S. is a legacy of the pre-zoning era, because development by consensus (which is effectively what is required in the U.S.) is an unworkable process.

In my own city, I have seen multi-million dollar projects which have been defeated - which had widespread community support, and passed all zoning variance hearings - because a single rich person with deep pockets took it to court and the judge found the city granted the variances in an improper way. In one case it wasn't even a resident - it was an absentee landlord who lived in NYC.