View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2006, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Typical suburban republicans. Its not 'decades of nickels and dimes' from suburbanites that creates the 14 billion from leasing the toll road, what a total load of bull shit. The 14 billion will come from a PRIVATE firm interested in purchasing the roadway. The 'decades of nickels and dimes' have only paid for road improvements on the tollway system and the construction of the extreamly wastefull tollway authority headquaters in Downer's Grove. I agree a leasing deal should be used to bennifit the Chicago region, but to oppose the use of these new funds to help a broken school system, which the suburbs have helped create is disgustingly selfish. True, no toll road under the management of the tollway authority exists within Chicago's city limits, but hello, most of the roads LEAD INTO THE CITY, and would not exist without the city serving as the the hub of the regional spoke expressway system.

And you know what, many of the regional tollyway miles are in Cook County anyway (I-90, I-94 Edens Spur, I-294, section of I-355 extension), so thier point doesn't really make any sense. Just stirring up the me, me, me attitude among suburban constituants that the big bad city is out to rob them of thier precoius nickels and dimes. Doesn't really suprise me though, this is the typical attitude I expect from DuPage County.
neither 355 or 294 lead into the city, if anything they help people aviod driving through the city, which is convienant when you're going from a far west burb to a far north burb. and even though those people with out Ipass may have ot pay the occasional double amount, paying $.80 to $2 a day in tolls adds up over time and I don't think its unreasonable for people paying into the system to want the profits from leasing of the system to go into expansion (355 to 80 or 355 to 294) and to benefit them personally. hoenstly I can see this from either side, many users of the tollway aren't driving into the city and rather are commuting between different surburbs, and both sides are benefitting from each other in different ways.