View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 11:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I think there is not a shred of evidence of this, other than "I'm on SSP and half the forumers here are die hard urbanists and will agree with me, so nanner nanner nanner!!"

Most Millennials today do not resent their parents for "forcing them to grow up in exurban sprawl"
My kids are "oughties" (born in the 2000s) in the second half of their teens. They have never once complained about where we live in SFH inner suburbia. They do love going to the downtown areas of our metro. They began taking public transit around 12-13 and I suppose the fact we have a bus stop with all day and evening service 50 m or 150 ft away from our front door helps. They have friends who live in exurban areas where there is little to no transit (except in some cases for one bus "in" in the morning and one bus "out" in the afternoon) and they generally complain bitterly about where they live. I have never heard a single teen say how great it is to live in exurbia (ours is hilly and heavily forested) surrounded by nature.

Ultimately I think it's more a question of accessibility as opposed to housing typology.

My kids probably have had the best of both worlds with easy access to the city amenities plus they have the backyard pool, their own spacious bedrooms, a big basement with large-screen TV to chill in...