View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
This is a tangent thread from the most populous city in the future thread.

Molson's post in that thread got me thinking:

I myself was raised in a detached SFH in an upper middle class burb of chicago. But now I'm raising my family in a chicago 3-flat in a city neighborhood.

Though molson's post was tongue in cheek, it did get me wondering, will my kids look back on their own childhoods as something "less than" because they didn't get the stereotypical american SFH home experience?

Our condo is valued at many hundreds of thousands of dollars, so our kids are by no means growing up poor or deprived, but might they still develop some lingering sense of it not being enough?

What about those of you who grew up in urban multi-family housing? Have you ever looked back on it as "less than"? Has it ever factored into your own housing decisions as an adult? Did it impact where you decided/will decide to raise a family of your own?
Lived in both single family and multifamily growing up, mostly single family. This might be crazy talk for this forum, but I don't think little kids have a strong preference for a specific housing typology I certainly didn't care while growing up (though as an adult I do have a preference for SFH). Kids probably care more about having their own room, being near friends, being able to walk to the corner store, etc.